Thursday 12 June 2014

Costume, Hair & Makeup & Modes of Address

For example, Tess Daly and Bruce Forsyth
look hugely overdressed for the genre
of television show that we are aiming
to produce, therefore their particular style
would not be suitable.
However, the T4 presenters fit in well
with the show's theme
a cool, chilled out look that allows
young people to connect with them.
Modes of address:
Being a presenter..why is it important?
Being a presenter on live television is important for many reasons. The main reason is ultimately because you, as the presenter, is who the audience will attempt to connect with both visually and emotionally, then influencing their overall outlook on the show itself. Therefore it is important that the presenter carries a certain style that should be personal to them and perhaps even reflect their own personality - this could also allow the audience to identify with them and the presenters would be able to be seen more like friends just having a casual chat, as supposed to actual well-paid television presenters that neither care for the audience nor the actual content of the show itself. Therefore, the main style that I am aiming to portray is rather chilled and (relaxed, like a friend visiting a friend), otherwise running a risk of looking too glamorous and not fitting in with the show's leisurely theme, making the whole thing uncomfortable to watch. In terms of how I will present myself, I believe the best way to do this is to do it with a bubbly and energetic performance but not too energetic that it becomes childish. I would aspire to be like is Holly Willoughby from 'This Morning', who is both bubbly but professional at the same time.
I will now explain the looks that I have both experimented and chosen.

Hair
My hair is very difficult to manage unless it is tamed beforehand, therefore I have to know exactly what kind of hairstyle I actually want so I have time to prepare. Also, it is important that my hair looks like it has been done professionally. However, there are some points that I have to remember when choosing the hairstyle - so I have done advantages and disadvantages for each. Some of the common factors are;
- Weather: I have to remember that the UK is an unpredictable place - therefore some hairstyles may get bedraggled if it suddenly decides to rain. If this were to happen, it must be a hairstyle that can be fixed quickly in case of emergencies.
- Lighting: We know that underneath the lights, it is very hot - therefore especially with my hair, it could dry out and become frizzy and untameable. A problem with this is that there will hardly be any time to fix my hair if this happens, therefore it would have to be a hairstyle that allows me to deal with that quickly and effectively.
- Tameness: My hair goes out, not down, so yes it can be rather wild at times, so I would have to keep in mind how wild it would go in the hopes of being able to tame it at certain times.

 Hairstyle option #1.a - 'The Wild Side' look (pink flower)
This was the first hairstyle that I thought of when I was given the role of presenter. This is actually how I happen to have my hair on a daily basis, since it is easy to do and doesn't take a lot of time either, as this is my hair in it's completely natural state. I also think that it reflects my personality well, since it is quite crazy and I am quite a crazy girl, therefore it works well and tells the audience a bit more about me as a person, not just as a presenter. I also wanted to portray a message of the fact that afro hair can also be glamorous, as many girls are too ashamed to wear theirs out and they should be encouraged to embrace their own natural beauty. The baby pink flower both adds to the look and appears to fit well with the colour scheme, being purple and yellow. In terms of weather - if my hair does get wet in any form of rain, it will probably add to the look and not take it away, as my hair needs water to stay this tame anyway.These are all advantages In terms of lighting, if it does dry out it will get frizzy and it would depend if we had enough time to change it during a VT, perhaps (by spraying it with water). If not, this is a disadvantage. 

Hairstyle option #1.b - 'The Wild Side Look' (white flower)
This look is almost identical to the one above, however the only difference is that the colour of the flower has in fact changed to white. A white flower would probably stand out more against the purple background because it's much lighter than the pink one. This could be both a good and bad thing - a good thing because it draws the audience's attention a little more, a bad thing because it may just draw their attention too much and then not fit in with the theme of the show. Also, this flower is a lot more formal - the other flower is a wedding flower, and for a relaxed show this may not be the best option. Therefore option one may have to be the safest style to go for. There would not be any different advantages and disadvantages as the actual hairstyle is exactly the same as the previous one demonstrated above.



Hairstyle option #2 - 'The Messy Bun' look
I feel like this look is quite a safe option, however at the same time it's a little too safe. The bun itself is fine as it keeps my hair rather neat, ignoring the fact that it has a purposely messy element to it. The only possible disadvantage could be that it is too childish - this is a good look for a presenter, but perhaps not a teenage television show presenter but a children's show presenter instead. One advantage would be that regardless of how hot the lights are, the gel used in my hair would protect and seal the moisture, therefore a lower risk of it becoming frizzy and messy. Also, it keeps my hair off my skin and out of my face, which the 'afro look' couldn't do, therefore preventing any irritation and this then means that it is more comfortable for me personally.




Hairstyle option #3 - 'The Sleek Slick' look
This is just the lower version of the look above. Surprisingly, the lower ponytail allows the overall look to be less childish and more professional, however the fact that the ponytail is to the side allows it to not look too old and gives it more of a teenage look again, therefore suitable for the audience age range. An advantage to using this look would be that once again, my hair would look sleeked back and therefore be quite professional, therefore it will not look too casual. There are not many disadvantages to this look, apart form the fact that maybe it would look too plain, even with the flower, as even though the look is meant to be chilled and relaxed it still has to look somewhat glamorous, as we would in theory be broadcasting to hundreds of thousands of people. However, this is definitely a contender for the final look. 



The look I have chosen is:
The first look. I believe that it portrays more than one message across to the audience and that it is large and full of life, just like our show. Also, the advantages and disadvantages are simple and easy to manage.

Makeup:
I don't feel that makeup is necessary because a common problem within many live multicamera shows, particularly with shows aimed at teenagers, is that it is easy to overdo any makeup that is worn, therefore it looks too extravagant. Therefore, to prevent this, I don't want to wear any makeup. Plus, the flower in my hair is more than enough.

Outfits
Clothing is very important for a presenter. This, more than anything, can let the audience understand more about who they are and what their personality is like. This is something that I would definitely like to show through my own style.
The first style that I had gone for was a casual, relaxed look. The top is a football shirt and if it wasn't for such a dark colour, it would've been the perfect look, however the lighting may not be able to compliment the top's colour as well as I would like it to. Therefore this may not be the look I would want to go for. The jeggings, however, are both relaxed and could be seen as formal at the same time, so I may want to use this for a different look also.

I personally liked this look a lot. It could be seen as too fancy however I thought that it would suit the shoe well and will therefore also compliment my hair quite well, alongside the flower in my hair. However, again, the black may not compliment the light too well, therefore it may not be the outfit I would aim for, although something similar could be used.

This look was probably my favourite. The cream colour on the dress works well and it would definitely compliment both the light and my hair. I am actually aiming to use this look - and if for some reason the dress is portrayed as too short, I can always use the jeggings from the first outfit idea. This dress alongside the pink flower would work well, which is why I am aiming to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment